LEAD IN WATER
What is lead?
Why the concern?
How does lead get into the water we drink?
Yes, the risk can be lowered, in most cases, pretty easily. To reduce the amount of lead in water:
1. Run the tap until water is cold to the touch before using it for drinking or cooking. This is especially important after the water has been standing in the pipes overnight or over many hours.
2. Use only water from the cold water tap for cooking, drinking or making a baby’s formula. Hot water picks up more lead from pipes and solder.
3. Check household plumbing for lead-based pipes or solder. A plumber can help.
4. Use only lead-free materials in all plumbing repairs or new faucets and pipes. The use of lead solder in plumbing was banned in New York State in 1986.
LEAD IN PAINT
If you are planning to buy, rent, or renovate a home built before 1978, you should know that many houses and apartments built before 1978 have paint that contain lead (called lead-based paint.) Lead from paint, chips, and dust can pose serious health hazards if not taken care of properly. In general, the older your home, the more likely it has lead-based paint.
Lead-based paint that is in good condition is usually not a hazard. Peeling, chipping, chalking, or cracking lead-based paint is a hazard and needs immediate attention. Lead based paint may also be a hazard when found on surfaces that children can chew or that get a lot of wear-and -tear. These areas include:
æ Windows and window sills
Lead dust can form when lead-base paint is dry scraped, dry sanded, or heated. Dust also forms when painted surfaces bump or rub together. Lead chips and dust can get on surfaces and objects that people touch. Settled lead dust can reenter the air when people vacuum, sweep, or walk through it.
|Safe Home Inspections · P.O. Box 126 · Baldwinsville, NY · 13027 · 315-415-9885|